We are all part of LANFest, a national organization, and brand. We all must unite under a common vision, establish shared values, and maintain a consistent standard of conduct. Our success and growth depend on our ability to build trusted relationships with one another as well as our chapters, attendees, sponsors, charities, venues, and communities.
LANFest has a mission: LANFest is dedicated to empowering gaming communities and supporting charitable efforts by creating unique gaming experiences. In pursuing this mission, LANFest members, volunteers, sponsors, and vendors (“We”)are expected to follow The Code of Conduct (“The Code”) detailed below. The Code is designed to preserve LANFest’s credibility and trust with the public. The Code applies to all members of LANFest, volunteers at LANFest events, third party providers in direct contact with our clients or acting on our behalf, and sponsors at LANFest events or interacting with LANFest attendees.
Mission-Oriented: Our mission “LANFest is dedicated to empowering gaming communities and supporting charitable efforts by creating unique gaming experiences” is the driving force behind everything that we do in the organization. We keep our planning, discussions, and actions true to the mission statement. We check our team’s actions to moving LANFest’s mission forward and continuing our growth. We are open and transparent within the organization as we work toward our mission as a team.
Respect and Communication: Relationships are built on trust and respect. We listen, respect, and follow the guidance of LANFest leaders. All members are responsible to ensure an atmosphere of open communication and respect. We follow the expectations set out in the Communication Policy, and enthusiastically respond to all requests. We exercise respect for our team and do our best not to stop the organization from moving forward.
Teamwork: Everyone’s time and ideas are equally important and need to be heard. This means we are respectful of other opinions. Leaders will listen to the input of their team while taking positive direct action to fulfill their team’s job. We all do our part to foster a team environment by inviting each member to contribute and not interrupting. We are open to being mentored and giving of our time to mentor others. We are all working towards the same vision and will go further as a team.
Integrity: We know that we can rely on our team members, to be honest, open, upstanding people; we strive to set that example. We hold ourselves accountable and respond positively to feedback and assistance as leaders hold us accountable. We do not politic or lobby for our personal benefit, and all stakeholders will be present and heard before discussing any topic toward resolution. Follow the spirit of the LANFest Code of Conduct. We are clear in our work by creating unambiguous documentation and procedures
LANFest Passion: We are a group of highly motivated, passionate gamers, and we support the organization by bringing that positive energy into our work. Humor and fun are part of our meetings and our events, but we must ensure our humor doesn’t hurt others. We all do our part to build and nourish the LANFest environment: safe, inclusive, family-friendly, joyful, and the ultimate love of gaming!
Community: We are an open and inviting community building on the strengths of our diverse members. We look for new members with different experiences and skills to add to our team. Our events embrace the LANFest culture along with our online community. We build a brighter LANFest through following these core values, expressing positive behaviors, and working toward the same vision.
Public Address at Events
Event leadership is responsible for every PA communication and use. Violation by staff or volunteers will be grounds for corrective action by event leadership or LANFest National Leadership.
The Public Address (PA) system is only allowed to be used for official communication during events that require all of those who are present to hear.
As a rule keep the language clean, as families with small children attend our events. LANFest is different and special because we create a safe and family-friendly environment for people to share their passion for PC Gaming. If you have a swearing issue, refrain from using the microphone or read from a prepared statement. Keep announcements PG-rated or better. Be very careful when making even light-hearted jokes.
LANFest is a Zero Tolerance organization around harassment. LANFest is dedicated to providing a harassment-free environment for everyone, regardless of race, gender, age, religion, marital status, political beliefs, creed, color, sexual orientation, ancestry, place of origin, physical appearance, or disability.
Harassment means any conduct, whether physical or verbal, that is discriminating in nature and one would find as unwelcomed or unwanted. This behavior is not tolerated and unwelcome at LANFest. LANFest has a zero-tolerance policy for this behavior and will dismiss any person(s) or party (and end any relevant contract/agreement) that act in a manner deemed to be harassment.
Staff are required to report immediately any observed harassment to the event organizer. Event organizers should take steps to correct or stop such behavior, and partner up with a member of the National Staffing group.
The use of sexual images, activities, or other materials at LANFest events is not allowed. Booth staff (including volunteers) should not use sexualized clothing, uniforms, or costumes, or otherwise create a sexualized environment.
At all times, we should actively clarify who we represent, and explain the role we have with regard to LANFest national, sponsors, and affiliated organizations. Members of LANFest are not allowed to speak on LANFest’s behalf for any third-party organizations at LANFest events without the express consent from the National Officers or Board.
Courtesy, friendliness, and a spirit of helpfulness are important and guide the organization’s dealings with members and attendees. Act with respect, fairness, and integrity. We should strive to maintain a civil work atmosphere at all times and refrain from shouting, or yelling.
- Seek to be fair, positive, and transparent in every interaction. Differences of opinion should be handled privately and discreetly. Gossip and backbiting are to be avoided. Communicate directly with the person or persons involved to resolve differences. Look for mutually agreeable and beneficial solutions for all parties.
- Constructive criticism — that which will improve business by clarifying or instructing — should be welcomed when delivered with respect and tact.
- Destructive criticism — that which is designed to harm the business or another person — is not to be practiced.
- The standard of LANFest is an environment free from disparaging remarks about religion, ethnicity, sexual preferences, appearance, and other non-related matters. Each staff member has the responsibility to foster an understanding of others’ differences in order to create an environment where those differences contribute to a better organization.
- Inappropriate remarks include those that treat a group of people in a uniform way, assign a behavior in a disparaging way, imply the inferiority of a group, are supposedly funny at someone else’s expense, and/or cause embarrassment or distress to others based on comments about a particular group of people.
- Treat others as equal without regard to race, gender, age, religion, marital status, political beliefs, creed, color, sexual orientation, ancestry, place of origin, physical appearance, or disability.
Reporting Violations of the Code of Conduct
All members, volunteers, vendors, and sponsors have a responsibility to report violations to this code of conduct, if they are discovered, to the national people team. All reporting will be in strict confidentiality and immune from retribution.
Asking Questions and Reporting Concerns
We are an open organization that welcomes questions and communications between all staff. Each staff member is responsible for reading, understanding, and following this Code. Any staff who violate the Code are subject to discipline, up to and including termination as staff and banning from future events. Anyone who violates the law may also be subject to civil and criminal penalties. Every staff member has an obligation to report possible violations of the Code and law.
Staff members are encouraged to ask questions or raise concerns with their direct manager or staff groups, such as the people team or National Executive Officers.
We do NOT tolerate retaliation against anyone who in good faith reports possible violations of the law or Code, or who asks questions of staff or volunteers. Staff who attempt to retaliate against these actions in any way will be severely disciplined. People who believe they have experienced retaliation for reporting possible violations should contact the staffing group.
The implementation of this Code of Conduct is a fundamental backbone of LANFest as an organization. All members, volunteers, vendors, and sponsors are required to adhere to the above code of conduct. By signing below, they declare they have read and will abide by this Code.
Volunteer Service Agreement
- It is mutually and expressly understood that volunteer services shall be donated, and that said volunteer is not entitled to nor expects any present or future salary, wages or other benefits for these voluntary services
- Volunteer agrees to follow the supervision and direction of any personnel, employee, or volunteer, to whom volunteer has been assigned to perform services and to participate in any training required by the charity in order to perform the voluntary services
- Volunteer agrees that he/she will not be considered to be an employee of the charity, and understands that if a volunteer is responsible for injuries to third-parties or damages to their property while acting outside the scope of assigned volunteer duties, that said volunteer may be held personally liable for any monetary damages a court may award to the injured party.
- It is further understood and agreed to by volunteer that the services rendered to the charity shall apply only in the case of liability arising out of the ordinary negligence that occurs during the scope of the volunteer’s services agreed to herein, and that in no way do any of these provisions apply for the benefit of volunteer, his/her heirs, executors or administrators in any action arising out of gross negligence, willful misconduct, or any other conduct on the part of the said volunteer, which cause or may give rise to criminal liability
- Volunteer further agrees that volunteers will fully cooperate with the charity and its agents in any investigation, lawsuit, arbitration, or any other legal or quasilegal proceedings that arise from the matters covered by this agreement. Volunteer further agrees to notify the charity immediately of any incident that occurs or may occur within the knowledge of the volunteer, which gives rise to liability on the part of the volunteer of the charity.
I (please print name), of LANFest, have read, understand, and agree to abide by the Code of Conduct of LANFest and I understand that such adherence is a condition of my association with LANFest. I understand that a violation of the Code of Conduct may be grounds for termination as a volunteer or member. In the case of the vendor or sponsor immediate dismissal of the agreement for just cause without notice or pay in lieu of notice.
By signing below, you state that you have read to LANFest’s code of conduct and will adhere to it. Any violation will result in the Board of Directors review of Agreement if you are a sponsor/vendor/Partner or disciplinary action if you are a staff member or volunteer.